Reconciliation in Queensland Schools
The Reconciliation in Queensland Schools (RIQS) initiative will offer grants of up to $5,000 for projects that support cultural understanding and respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures in Queensland State primary schools.
Applications are are now closed. Applicants will be notified by September 2017.
The aim of Reconciliation is to build strong and respectful relationships between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and other Australians. It is also about increasing awareness of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures.
Successful projects will:
- focus on stronger relationships between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and the broader Australian community through genuine and mutually beneficial engagement with the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community
- increase understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories, languages and cultures through school-based learning activities
- acknowledge and celebrate the valuable contributions made by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- celebrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander key dates and national events.
Below are some types of activities that are aligned with criteria for RIQS funding.
Note that the success of individual applications is also linked to other details including alignment with at least one of the RIQS objectives, the lasting legacy for Reconciliation that the project creates for the school, and value for money.
Acknowledgement of Traditional Custodians
- Commence key school activities such as school assemblies with Acknowledgement of Traditional Owners
- Install Acknowledgement of Traditional Owner plaques at key locations within the school.
Participate in traditional activities
- Facilitate traditional Indigenous games and sports
- Host a bush tucker day where students have the opportunity to sample a range of bush tucker.
Learn about the people and places local to your school
- Engage Elders and Traditional Custodians to discuss and share cultural knowledge and personal stories
- Visit local areas to learn about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures.
Integrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives and knowledge into your school
- Create a bush tucker garden with edible native plant species
- School-based activities for key Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander events.
This program is part of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Reconciliation Action Plan.