Get Out, Get Active
The Get Out, Get Active program provides grants of up to $40,000 to deliver enjoyable, accessible and affordable sport and active recreation activities for women and girls across Queensland.
The Embracing 2018 Legacy Program provided $700,000 for an additional category of the Get Out, Get Active program delivered by Sport and Recreation Services within the Department of Housing and Public Works. This funding enabled the expansion of the program from being available to councils to also include not-for-profit incorporated community sport and recreation organisations based in Queensland.
Applications opened on 9 March 2017 and closed on 28 April 2017. A total of 163 applications requesting $3.7 million were received, with great interest from regional sport and recreation organisations. Successful projects included:
- $34,700 to Mareeba Mountain Goats Inc. to conduct a 40 week three tiered program to support mountain biking and cycling at Mareeba.
- $16,180 to Whitsunday Triathlon Club Inc to conduct a 12 month physical activity program incorporating mountain biking, tennis, walking and other physical activities at Hamilton Island.
- $35,320 to Southern Steelers Sports Inc. to conduct two, eight week multi-sport programs and one multicultural youth games event to support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and culturally and linguistically diverse inactive women and girls at Logan.
A list of all projects can be found here (PDF, 234KB).
The Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games will transform the Gold Coast and Queensland by creating benefits for our communities before, during and after the 11 days of competition. These are the benefits that this initiative will bring to Queenslanders both within the Gold Coast and across our state:
- GC2018 inspires Australians to become healthier and happier through an active lifestyle and physical activity
- GC2018 is leveraged to support the sport and recreation industry to better cater for active communities from grass roots to high performance