High Performance Sport Attraction
The Gold Coast is already known as an active city and one of the best sport and recreation destinations in Australia. The Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018) provides a leveraging opportunity for the City to expand its sport attraction program and generate increased trade and investment outcomes for the local sport industry.
This is being achieved through a number of initiatives including:
- Attraction of national and international peak sporting bodies to set up a presence in the City. Most recently, the City has attracted three new national sporting organisations to relocate to the Gold Coast.
- Triathlon Australia
- Mountain Bike Australia
- Federation of International Basketball Association (FIBA) Oceania
- Attraction of high performance sporting teams for Gold Coast based training camps and acclimatisation programs. Since the implementation of the Gold Coast Sport Plan (2013–2023), over 100 sporting initiatives have been attracted to the city, including state and national championships, and elite training camps.
- Showcase the city’s sport capability in areas such as manufacturing, sport infrastructure, design and construction, and event management.
The Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games will transform the Gold Coast and Queensland by creating benefits for our communities before, during and after the 11 days of competition. These are the benefits that this initiative will bring to Queenslanders both within the Gold Coast and across our state:
- The Gold Coast is recognised internationally as a city for elite sport