GC2018 Food Experience
The Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018) aims to promote a festival of sustainable food for GC2018 and affirm a legacy of environmental integrity, economic resilience and social well-being for the food industry and for the region.
The size and scale of catering required across all GC2018 venues for all customer groups poses logistical and sourcing challenges. The Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Coorporation (GOLDOC) aims to therefore source produce by working with both large and small scale suppliers across the regional food industry.
Working collaboratively, GOLDOC and City of Gold Coast have developed the GC2018 Food Experience, which forms the basis for GOLDOC’s catering team to support and deliver the catering services across all GC2018 venues.
The GC2018 Food Experience will:
- Showcase the richness of the Gold Coast and surrounding regions, Queensland and Australian produce and cuisine
- Promote the use of our unique indigenous food
- Inspire healthier and more ethical eating habits
- Encourage responsible consumption via controlled portion size to minimise food waste
- Inspire innovation within the food industry.
It is anticipated that the development of the GC2018 Food Experience will contribute to a longer-term food tourism experience in the region.
The Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games will transform the Gold Coast and Queensland by creating benefits for our communities before, during and after the 11 days of competition. These are the benefits that this initiative will bring to Queenslanders both within the Gold Coast and across our state:
- GC2018 demonstrates a leading model for sustainable event delivery
- Awareness, capacity and capability building of Queensland businesses for GC2018 resulting in enduring economic uplift